Monday, November 26, 2012

What's on your Christmas wishlist?

Now that Black Friday is over, it's time for those of us who did't spent the day after Thanksgiving attacking each other in Kohl's and Walmart to get our Christmas shopping done.  I hope you all partook in "Small Business Saturday" and supported your local small businesses (and online small businesses), as supporting small business is one of the best ways to stimulate our waning economy and support indie artisans.

And now of course is the fabulous Cyber Monday, the biggest day of online sales in the year, and there are plenty of places online, from Amazon to Etsy shoppes, that are offering specials on Cyber Monday you just can't miss!  So if you need a little inspiration for your Christmas lists this year, here is a little rundown of what the Lonely Alchemist is buying online this year (both for myself and for gifts):

Alchemy Eyeshadow Palette from "Lime Crime" Now, I have heard both rave reviews and scathing criticisms of Lime Crime makeup over the past few years, but since they are having a Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale, I figured I'd finally break down and try their stuff for myself.  After the criticisms of the owner and products that I've heard recently, I have very low expectations, but the pictures online are just so adorable that I figured, what the heck.  As soon as I receive the makeup, I'll do a full post on my experience, positive or negative, so stay posted!

Kindle Fire - I'm finally jumping on the Kindle bandwagon.  I'm estimating that my Kindle may save me thousands of dollars in book money (I'm a book addict) over the years, so it's definitely a good investment.  Plus, it's on sale for Cyber Monday.  Deck the halls with e-books!

The Steampunk Bible - This adorable read is a must-have for any Steampunk.  I'm definitely putting this on my Christmas list this year, along with a whole bunch of other books.  If you don't have space for another book, you can also get this in NOOKBook form from Barnes and Noble (unfortunately, I can't find it in Kindle ebook form). 

Subscription to Amazon Prime - My business savvy friends have advised me that Netflix (and Hulu as well) may soon be going the way of the dinosaur (not too soon, but within the next few years).  So for those friends or family members who happen to be movie or TV-show junkies, an Amazon Prime subscription might be the perfect gift (it's even cheaper than a Netflix subscription anyways, at about $6.50 a month).

"Let's Bring Back" the Cocktail Edition - I have this book and I adore it.  It is filled with extinct drink recipes from bygone days with crazy names like "The Angel's Tit," "Gag Reflex," and "Corpse Reviver" (my personal favorite is the "Charlie Chaplin," which is sour and strong enough to make anyone speechless, if you get the joke).  If you enjoy history or alcohol or both, this is a great book to put on your wishlist.  It's inexpensive too, so it makes a great gift for any friend who might happen to be a connoisseur or a lush.  Be warned though, buying the alcohol to make all these cocktails will cost you a fortune...

Donation to a Charity - Sometimes there is someone on your Christmas list who really has everything; that, or you really have no idea what to get them.  Instead of getting them a meaningless trinket that they don't need or want, instead donate to a charity in their name.  It helps you to feel good about your "Christmas spirit," and it lets them know that you are thinking about them.  My favorites are environmental and women's rights charities (they need more financial help than other charities, and they have, in my mind, more of a chance to enact positive social change in this hedonistic/materialistic modern age).

BioShock Infinite - It's not scheduled to come out 'til February 2013, but it's still a great advance gift to give your favorite gamer!  Plus this edition promises to be even more Steampunk-y than the previous ones (woot!).  After all, everyone loves BioShock, right?  Right?  And if your gamer doesn't do video games or shooter games, you can always get them a subscription to their favorite MMORPG (like the soon-to-be-released City of Steam, or WildStar, which looks really fun too).

And Everything on Etsy - As an Etsy seller, I love to support other Etsy sellers.  And Etsy is full of lovely trinkets and necessities for everyone on your Christmas list.  But just remember to watch out for scams!  I've had bad experience with sellers from China who take your money and then close shop without sending your order.  Be sure that whatever shop your order from is a real shop and not a scam!

So that's everything I'm putting in my letter to Santa!  Leave us a note in the comments and tell us what you're spending your hard-earned cash on this holiday season!

Ciao!
The Lonely Alchemist

No comments:

Post a Comment